Challenges 18 Oct 2011 02:09 am by David !
Flickr photo by Robynne Blume
Break out your cameras! I’m pleased to announce the MOD Evidence Photo Contest!
The rules are simple:
1. Take a photo that tells the story of a single MOD prediction. The prediction slip can be present in the photo, or not. People can be present, or not. But between the photo itself and its title, the viewer should be able to grasp the whole story. (Ironic twists are, of course, OK.)
2. Upload your picture! Join the new MOD Flickr Group, upload your entry, and tag it “modevidence”.
3. Write something in the description — about you, about the photo, how you thought of the idea, where you took it, etc. I want this set to be fun for folks to browse and read!
4. REPEAT UNTIL CAMERA EXPLODES FROM OVERUSE
Photos will be JUDGED and PRIZES AWARDED. Scoring will be based on:
30% Quality of photography
50% Overall creativity of execution (no pun intended)
+10% Extra credit for description
We will award at least one BEST IN SHOW award of $100 cash, and (depending on number of entries) we may award other prizes as well, if there are enough to break the field into categories. We will also show our favorites at the Super-Stupendous MOD Magic & Variety Show next month!
If you don’t have a Flickr account, you can still enter the contest by emailing us your entry; we’ll upload it for you. Send it to submit at machineofdeath dot net, with the subject line “Evidence Photo: [Some brief description].”
Put in an actual description, not the actual words “Some brief description”, even though it would be a hilarious joke.
1. You may enter as many times as you like. Collaborative entries are OK too.
2. Remember that part of the judging will be on photo quality, so webcam and cellphone shots will likely suffer on that score. Take as nice a picture as you can!
3. The use of photomanipulation is OK. We may award both a “best manipulated” and a “best naturalistic” award, depending on the number of entries.
4. You agree that by submitting a photo, we’re allowed to repost it here on the MOD blog, or on TopatoCo. (You of course retain the copyright to it, unless you choose otherwise.)
5. The deadline to submit or upload photos will be the end of the day (midnight Pacific time) on Monday, November 7th. So you’ve got three weeks!
SIMULTANEOUS CONTEST ALERT
I am also holding a nearly identical photo contest over at Wondermark! You can also enter that one if you want to win another $100 cash prize.
The rules are all the same, except instead of an Evidence Photo, you must submit a Classy Wondermark Photo. This could be a photo with a piece of Wondermark merchandise, or a recreation of any single Wondermark panel. More details here.
The deadline and other guidelines are the same! This is what we call SYNERGY. Any questions? Leave a comment. Can’t wait to see your photos!