Updates 24 Nov 2010 12:02 am by David !
Hey look at this! We have made it onto an Amazon “Best Books of 2010″ list (Customer Favorites, Sci-Fi & Fantasy)! Hurrah!
We don’t want to be disingenuous here — this is not an editorially-curated selection. According to the Amazon page, this particular subcategory is a list of “the bestselling science fiction and fantasy at Amazon.com during 2010. (Ranked according to customer orders through October.)” So discerning Amazon editors have not peered over their glasses to rest laurels upon our little book; it’s purely a sales metric.
But let us put that another way:
We were one of Amazon’s top ten best-selling sci-fi/fantasy books of 2010 (at least through October).
Oh and BY THE WAY here is a new review by author (and well-respected anthologist in his own right) Jeff VanderMeer on Omnivoracious, the official Amazon books blog. This is an Amazon editor’s opinion:
Personally, I found Machine of Death a lively, self-assured, and diverse read…This is DIY publishing at its best, and a perfect example of the way in which creative, clever editors can use to their advantage the new leveling of hierarchies, existence of more accessible means of distribution, and diversity of ways to make a project visible to readers.
But, when it comes down to it, you have to have the quality to back up the hype. You have to bring the heat, and Machine of Death does bring the heat. Not only that — it showcases a lot of talented writers you might not have encountered before. I know I have a few more “check out their other work” names after reading the anthology.
When Jeff contacted us for a review copy, days after we reached Amazon #1 and while we were still tittering about Glenn Beck, he indicated that he wanted to cover the actual book itself, rather than the furor around it. We’re glad he did and double-glad he enjoyed it! After all, we like it too.
For US retailers and bookstores who would like to stock Machine of Death: It is now available through PGW/Perseus. I am told this is the information you need:
Pubnet SAN number 631760X
KABAM there you go.
Here’s a new interview with us by Chris Sims at Comics Alliance:
DM!: Picture this: someone on the East Coast hears the show. They comment on the blog. I tweet about it, and as Glenn Beck’s show is panning across the continent with the sun, someone tunes in to listen strictly on our behalf. It’s amazing when you think about it that way.
The interview also features a ton of the art from the book!
Other exciting news:
• The book will be in Canadian bookstores, and presumably Amazon.ca, before Christmas. (Canadian bookstores: watch for info forthcoming from your PGC rep.)
• We have had some tentative interest from foreign publishers in publishing translated editions of MOD internationally. We are moving to secure additional rights from our authors in order to further pursue these opportunities.
• The ebook edition is now available in the Barnes & Noble NOOKstore.
• We have been listed in the Boing Boing 2010 Gift Guide as one of Cory’s “Fiction” picks! Thanks, Cory!
• Our editor Ryan has a new book of Dinosaur Comics out!
• Everybody reading this gets a hug